Who’s a fan of the incredibly talented food blogger, Angela Liddon? <raises hand>
I feel so lucky to have been sent a copy of Angela’s gorgeous book, The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow From the Inside Out, and it is absolutely filled to the brim with everything that we’ve come to expect from her: inviting, healthful, often decadent, yet totally manageable recipes that are made using real food ingredients.
Besides tons of new, never-been-published recipes, my favorite part of this book is the gorgeous photography. I am such a visual person and nothing inspires me more to get busy in the kitchen than to look at mouth-watering photos. I would estimate that nearly every two or three recipes has a full color photo and that really makes this book something special in my opinion. Oh, okay, fine. I also admit that I immediately flipped to the Dessert section of Angela’s book, ‘cuz girl knows how to make a mean chocolate treat.
In honor of U.S. VegWeek and Earth Day, Angela’s publisher has generously offered to send one lucky reader a copy of the book, as well as allowing me to share her recipe for Eat Your Greens Detox Soup with you:
Here’s the recipe:Print
Reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons (7 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrots
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped broccoli florets
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 to 3 teaspoons (7 to 15 mL) grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
- 2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) strips (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) torn kale leaves
- Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
I’m thinking that the Oh She Glows Cookbook would make a fantastic Mother’s Day gift or birthday present for anyone celebrating this spring; I’m proud to add it to my cookbook collection:
To enter to giveaway, please use the Rafflecopter link below. I’ll be selecting one winner at random on Tuesday, April 29th (U.S. residents only):