Last Updated on
These Easy Black Bean Brownies are dairy-free, grain-free and so decadently delicious. Nobody will ever guess they’re healthy, too!
Black bean brownies are one of those recipes that people either get excited about or turn up their noses at. I can understand an initial negative response because not everybody loves the taste of beans. I don’t actually like the taste of beans all that much either.
But, in this Black Bean Brownie recipe, since the beans get completely blended into a puree before baking, you really can’t tell that they’re there. I promise!
Are you game?
Easy Black Bean Brownie Dairy-Free & Grain-Free Ingredients
The main ingredients in this easy black bean brownie recipe include:
- organic black beans in a BPA-free can
- unsweetened, dairy-free milk, either boxed or homemade; I like using my homemade cashew milk
- dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- coconut sugar
- grain-free, gluten-free flour (I recommend cassava flour or tiger nut flour)
- cocoa powder
- unsweetened applesauce
- vanilla extract
You might even have all of these ingredients in your pantry! My favorite black beans come from Eden Organics, but you can use whatever brand you find.
I do recommend rinsing and draining the beans to get rid of the canning liquid, though.
How to Make Black Bean Brownies
The batter ends up looking like a traditional brownie batter.
These brownies take a good 40-45 minutes to cook all the way through, but they end up tasting so fudge and delicious. I think I’ve made this recipe four times in the last month since I love it so much. I also love making it as part of a meal prep so I have a treat for the week.
Black Bean Brownie Questions & Answers
Are black bean brownies vegan?
This recipe is not vegan, but I do have a vegan black bean brownie recipe published on my site.
Are black bean brownies okay for diabetics?
You might be able to substitute a sugar-free sweetener for the coconut sugar to make this recipe more appropriate for diabetics.
Are black bean brownies healthy?
I’m of the mindset that treats and desserts are part of a balanced relationship with food. I’m not scared of sugar, but I don’t go overboard. It’s an individual choice whether or not to include treats in your diet plan.
Here’s the printable recipe for my Black Bean Brownies:Print
These Black Bean Brownies are dairy-free, grain-free and so decadently delicious. Nobody will ever guess they’re healthy, too!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup unsweetened jarred applesauce
- ¾ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grain-free, gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup ghee or coconut oil, melted*
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the black beans, applesauce, dairy-free milk, eggs, and vanilla extract in a food processor or high-speed blender. Process on high until the ingredients are combined.
- Next, combine the flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture from your blender or food processor into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the melted ghee or coconut oil and stir one last time.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish and place in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
*Use coconut oil instead of ghee for dairy allergies.
Be sure to pin this Easy Black Bean Brownie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!