Last Updated on
Have you tried making homemade kale chips in the oven? This Vegan Sour Cream & Onion kale chip recipe is worth the effort!
I’ve had kale chip mishaps in the past, so this time I looked up a recipe online and followed the directions carefully. I started with a bunch of organic curly kale:
This is important: wash the kale before you pull it off the stalk (reason being because it’s a lot easier to dry this way). I put the kale in a large bowl of water and rinsed it thoroughly:
Then I dried it on a clean towel:
Then it was time to pull the leaves off into chip-sized pieces:
I just threw away the stalks although I’m sure you could juice them if you wanted to. Next I combined the flavorings in my Vitamix, but you can also use a regular blender. The ingredients included cashews, water, onion powder, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, salt and fresh parsley which I had to leave out since I forgot to buy some (printable recipe below):
The next step is to pour the cream over the kale and lay the pieces out on two parchment-lined baking sheets:
Then, you just bake them at 250 degrees for about 60-70 minutes. The instructions said to toss once during cooking, but mine didn’t really toss well so I just kind of moved them around. Here’s what they looked like when finished:
Mmmmm, they were SO GOOD! Now I understand what all the fuss is about with kale chips.Print
Sour Cream & Onion Kale Chips
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Wash and dry kale leaves thoroughly. Pull off kale leaves from stalks in chip-sized pieces and put into large bowl.
- Combine the cashews and soaking water, onion powder, garlic powder, vinegar, salt and parsley in a blender and whirl until smooth.
- Pour mixture over kale leaves and use hands to distribute cream over all of the leaves.
- Lay out leaves on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets and bake for 60-70 minutes or until crispy.