This post shares how easy it is to make homemade creamy cashew milk for all of your dairy-free needs. You don’t even need a nut milk bag.
What is Cashew Milk?
Cashew milk is a non-dairy milk alternative made by blending cashes with water. Cashew milk is perfect for sweet or savory recipes, and can be heated or used in baking. You don’t need to strain cashew milk through a nut milk bag, so it’s one of the easiest, most affordable, and fastest dairy-free milks you can make. Homemade cashew milk will keep in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Make Homemade Cashew Milk
Unlike almonds that usually need to soak in water for 8-10 hours, cashews only need a very quick soak and rinse to get them ready for blending. Honestly, even 10 minutes in a bowl of water is enough soaking time for cashews. I recommend using organic cashews.
So, placing about one cup of cashews in a bowl and covered with filtered water is the first step in making creamy cashew milk.
The second step is to rinse the cashews and then combine them in a high-speed blender with fresh filtered water.
As I mentioned, one of the best parts about making cashew milk is that you don’t have to strain it.
Homemade Cashew Milk Blends & Flavors
- The most basic way to make cashew milk is to blend 1 cup of unsalted, raw cashews with 4 cups of filtered water. Use it plain in your favorite sweet or savory recipes that call for dairy-free milk.
- Or, try blending 1/2 cup organic cashews + 1/3 cup brazil nuts + 1 tablespoon of carob or cocoa powder for a Cashew-Brazil Chocolate Milk or the base of homemade fudgesicles
- For use as a protein-rich smoothie base, blend 1/2 cup organic cashews + 1/4 cup hemp seeds + 3 cups filtered water for a Cashew-Hemp Milk perfect for green smoothies (see my list of smoothie recipes)
Questions About Cashew Milk
Is cashew milk or almond milk better?
I prefer making cashew milk because you don’t have to strain it like you do with almond milk.
What are the benefits of cashew milk?
Homemade cashew milk is nutritious because cashews are really good for you!
Is cashew milk high in protein?
Cashew milk is not high in protein. A 1/2 cup serving has about 3 1/2 grams of protein according to my recipe.
Is cashew milk better than milk?
Cashew milk is a great substitute for dairy milk, but it’s not necessarily better. It really just depends whether or not you have a sensitivity to dairy or to nuts.
Here’s how to make Homemade Creamy Cashew Milk:Print
Homemade cashew milk is super easy to make, and can be used for your dairy-free needs.
- 1 cup organic cashews, soaked for 10–30 minutes in filtered water, rinsed well and drained
- 4 cups filtered water
- Combine the cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Process for about 45 seconds or until completely blended.
- Store the milk in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Add the seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make a creamy vanilla version!
What’s your favorite way to use cashew milk? What other combinations of nuts and seeds do you like for dairy-free milks? Let me know in the comments!
Be sure to pin this cashew milk recipe to Pinterest to save it for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!