How to Make Creamy Cashew Milk
Learn how easy it is to make homemade creamy cashew milk for all of your dairy-free needs. You don’t even need a nut milk bag, just blend and serve.
Cashew milk is a non-dairy milk alternative made by blending cashes with water. Cashew milk is perfect for sweet or savory recipes, and can be heated or used in baking.
Learn more about which dairy-free milks are best for which purpose. You don’t need to strain cashew milk through a nut milk bag, so it’s one of the easiest, most affordable, and fastest dairy-free milks you can make.
Homemade cashew milk will keep in your refrigerator for up to 5 days and is excellent for putting in coffee. Let me show you exactly how to make cashew milk.
Unlike almonds that usually need to soak in water for 8-10 hours, cashews only need a very quick soak and rinse to get them ready for blending. That’s one reason I love making cashew milk so much. It’s just so easy. Honestly, even 10 minutes in a bowl of water is enough soaking time for cashews. I recommend using organic cashews.
So, the first step to making cashew milk is to place about one cup of cashews in a bowl and cover them with filtered water.
The second step is to rinse the cashews and then combine them in a high-speed blender with fresh filtered water.
As I mentioned, one of the best parts about making cashew milk is that you don’t have to strain it.
So, the third step is to blend the cashews and water until they are completely combined. That’s it! Now you have creamy cashew milk that is so much better for most people than cow’s milk.
- The most basic way to make cashew milk is to blend 1 cup of unsalted, raw cashews with 4 cups of filtered water. Use it plain in your favorite sweet or savory recipes that call for dairy-free milk.
- Or, try blending 1/2 cup organic cashews + 1/3 cup brazil nuts + 1 tablespoon of carob or cocoa powder for a Cashew-Brazil Chocolate Milk or the base of homemade fudgesicles
- For use as a protein-rich smoothie base, blend 1/2 cup organic cashews + 1/4 cup hemp seeds + 3 cups filtered water for a Cashew-Hemp Milk perfect for green smoothies (see my list of smoothie recipes)
If you’ve ever suffered with acne or allergies, then you might want to consider trying dairy alternatives. Milk from cows is one of the most common allergens for kids and adults, and most people are lactose-intolerant as well.
Additionally, the protein in cow’s milk is not the pure product of our ancestor’s. Today’s milk most often comes from cows that are raised in a confined environment and are give hormones and antibiotics.
To try going dairy-free, make sure you have alternatives available such as cashew milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or your favorite option. Try these non dairy alternatives for about 14 days to see if your symptoms improve. Learn more about the health benefits of going dairy free.
Note: this post is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider for recommendations related to your individual situation.
Is cashew milk high in protein?
Cashew milk is not high in protein. A 1/2 cup serving has about 3 1/2 grams of protein according to my recipe.
Is cashew milk better than milk?
Cashew milk is a great substitute for dairy milk, but it’s not necessarily better. It really just depends whether or not you have a sensitivity to dairy or to nuts.
How do I know if my cashew milk is bad?
I don’t recommend keeping homemade cashew milk for longer than 5 days in the refrigerator. But, if you do, you can tell if you cashew milk has gone bad if it doesn’t smell good.
More Dairy-Free Milk Recipes
- Homemade Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Macadamia Nut Milk
- Oat Milk Creamer
- Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- Vanilla Hemp Milk
I also have a round-up post of the best dairy-free milk recipes.
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
Creamy Cashew Milk
Homemade cashew milk is super easy to make, and can be used for your dairy-free needs.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: High-Speed Blender
- Cuisine: Dairy-free, vegan, paleo
- 1 cup organic cashews, soaked for 10–30 minutes in filtered water, rinsed well and drained
- 4 cups filtered water
- Combine the cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Process for about 45 seconds or until completely blended.
- Store the milk in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Add the seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make a creamy vanilla version!
Keywords: how to make creamy cashew milk, homemade cashew milk, dairy-free cashew milk, blended cashew milk