Instant Pot Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
You’re going to love this one-pot Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup recipe that is healthy, nourishing, and so easy for a quick lunch or dinner!
- With lots of vegetables and other anti-inflammatory ingredients, this recipe is perfect for those times of the year when cold and flu viruses are running rampant.
- A generous amount of fresh lemon juice in the soup just before serving even provides for a decent amount of vitamin C. Don’t miss my other immune-boosting tips for when you’re fighting a cold.
- This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup is perfect for meal prepping because it’s easily re-heatable and can even be frozen to serve in the future.
- One of the best parts about this recipe is that the rice and the chicken and veggies all get cooked together in the same pot.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients are all you need to have a delicious, hearty meal. Let me show you how easy it is to make this Instant Pot Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup.
- You can use butter, ghee, or your choice of cooking oil to cook the chopped celery, onion, and carrots. Don’t skip this step, it adds a lot of flavor to the final dish.
- You’ll also see that I recommend cutting your chicken into small pieces, at the most 1/2-inches big. That’s because we don’t want to overcook the rice, but we want to make sure the chicken gets cooked through.
- I used white basmati rice for this recipe, I don’t recommend a short-grain variety for this particular recipe. You’ll also need to rinse the rice before you add it to the pot.
Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add your cooking oil.
Add the chopped carrots, celery, onion, dried thyme, salt, and pepper and let them cook for a few minutes. Add the chicken and cook everything for a few more minutes.
Add the rinsed rice, broth, and water, and lock on the lid. Set the time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
Remove the lid, stir in the lemon juice, and serve hot.
I think you’re really going to love how hearty, creamy, and flavorful this chicken soup is. The fresh lemon flavor really jumps out and adds so much brightness. I’m pretty sure this dish is mom-approved!
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes, then don’t miss my Instant Pot Chicken Recipes round-up, featuring nearly 50 gluten-free and dairy-free options.
Or, check out my Instant Pot Soup Recipes round-up too!
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice is a comforting and healthy classic recipe that you can serve for lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1.25 pounds chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Set your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot to Sauté and add the olive oil. Let it heat up for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms to the pot. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir.
- Add the dried thyme, chicken, salt, and pepper, and stir again. Let the ingredients sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Cancel the Sauté function and add the rinsed rice, chicken broth, and water. Stir one more time and then lock on the lid.
- Set the time to 7 minutes on high pressure. Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
You can freeze the soup for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed container.
Keywords: instant pot chicken soup, instant pot chicken and rice, chicken and rice soup