This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
You’re going to love this one-pot Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Rice recipe that is healthy, nourishing, and so easy for a quick lunch or dinner!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Recipe
My friends at Instant Pot asked me to re-create a childhood favorite dish that could be made so much easier in the Instant Pot. My mind immediately went to the chicken soup my mom used to make when I was growing up. Her version included noodles, but I used rice to make the recipe gluten-free. I’ve also added fresh lemon juice for brightness and extra flavor.
I remember that it used to take my mom hours to make her chicken soup on the stove. She would make an enormous batch to make her efforts worthwhile and I remember eating the leftovers for months on end. If only she had had a pressure cooker, then she could have made this one-pot nourishing chicken soup in just about 40 minutes start to finish!
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice Ingredients
One of the best parts about this recipe is that the rice and the chicken and veggies all get cooked together in the same pot. Aren’t one-pot meals just the best? You can thank the Instant Pot for that, too, since you can sauté in the same pot you use for pressure cooking.
And, chicken and rice go so well together. The ingredients for this Instant Pot Chicken & Rice are so basic.
- chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces so they cook quickly
- white basmati rice
- lemon juice
Sometimes the simplest ingredients are all you need to have a delicious, hearty meal. Let me show you how easy it is to make this dish. I’ve included a how-to video below too.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Since the Instant Pot makes it so easy to sauté right in the pot, that’s how we start to make this dish. You can use butter, ghee, or your choice of cooking oil to cook the chopped celery, onion, and carrots. Don’t skip this step, it adds a lot of flavor to the final dish.
You’ll also see that I recommend cutting your chicken into small pieces, at the most 1/2-inches big. That’s because the rice only needs 7 minutes cooking time, and we want to make sure the chicken gets through at the same time as the rice is cooking.
I used white basmati rice for this recipe, I don’t recommend a short-grain variety for this particular recipe. You’ll also need to rinse the rice before you add it to the pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Rice Steps
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add your cooking oil.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, onion, dried thyme, salt, and pepper and let them cook for a few minutes. Add the chicken and cook everything for a few more minutes.
- Add the rinsed rice, broth, and water, and lock on the lid.
- Set the time to 7 minutes on high pressure.
- Remove the lid, stir in the lemon juice, and serve hot.
I think you’re really going to love how hearty, creamy, and flavorful this chicken soup is. The fresh lemon flavor really jumps out and adds so much brightness. I’m pretty sure this dish is mom-approved!
By the way, you should also check out my authorized Instant Pot cookbook, the Healthy Meal Prep Instant Pot Cookbook: No-Fuss Recipes for Nutritious, Ready-to-Go Meals!
Recommended items for this recipe (some affiliate links included):
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes, then don’t miss my Instant Pot Chicken Recipes round-up, featuring nearly 50 gluten-free and dairy-free options. Or, check out my Instant Pot Soup Recipes round-up too!
Here’s the printable recipe for this easy and nourishing Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice recipe:Print
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice is a comforting and healthy classic recipe that you can serve for lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1.25 pounds chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Set your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot to Sauté and add the ghee or butter. Let it melt for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, carrots, and celery stalks to the pot. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir.
- Add the dried thyme, chicken, salt, and pepper, and stir again. Let the ingredients sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Cancel the Sauté function and add the rinsed rice, chicken broth, and water. Stir one more time and then lock on the lid.
- Set the time to 7 minutes on high pressure. Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
You can freeze the soup for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed container.
Be sure to pin this image to save this recipe for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!