These Cinnamon Flax Muffins are gluten-free and vegan-friendly. They’re also grain-free and full of healthy fiber.
Healthy Baking Tips
I’m such a fan of baking tips that give treats a healthy twist. One of my all-time favorite healthy baking tips is to replace half the oil in a recipe with squash puree or applesauce. It’s such an easy swap that adds nutrition and fiber, and you’re more than likely won’t even notice the difference.
For this Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffin recipe, I gave the option of using butternut squash puree, pumpkin puree, or applesauce. This is a recipe that I originally shared a few years ago, but I re-made it today and shot some new photos. I used butternut squash puree because that’s what I had in my pantry, and the puree gave the muffins a beautiful orange hue.
Another one of my healthy baking tips is to cut back on the grains, and use a grain-free option like flax meal, cassava flour, or almond flour instead. It’s gotten so much easier to find gluten-free and grain-free options, and I’ve linked to some of my favorites below.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffin Ingredients
This recipe is both gluten-free and grain-free, using a mixture of ground flax and almond flour. Some of the ingredients I recommend for this recipe include (some affiliate links included):
- Sprouted ground flax
- Almond flour or cassava flour
- Coconut sugar
- Organic Ceylon cinnamon (REAL cinnamon)
- Organic pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree
How to Make Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffins
This recipe is actually really easy to make! There are only 10 ingredients, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you have all or most of them in your pantry right now. The first step of course is to gather up all the ingredients. Then, you just combine the dry ingredients, and then add the wet ingredients.
Your batter will look like this:
I recommend spraying your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and then dividing the batter between all the wells:
Bake your muffins for 30 minutes in a 375F degree oven, and they’ll end up looking like this:
These Cinnamon Flax Muffins are such a great healthy grab-and-go breakfast, or a healthy snack or dessert!
Health Benefits of Flaxseeds
Flaxseeds are such a healthy food, and because they’re full of fiber, they can help reduce estrogen dominance in both men and women. Would you believe that consuming some flax every day has even been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer? That is such an amazing health fact! Not only that, but flax can also reduce hot flashes associated with menopause. Buy yourself a bag of sprouted flax and add a tablespoon to your oatmeal, smoothie, salad, or muffins!
Here’s the printable recipe for these Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffins:Print
These Cinnamon Flax Muffins are gluten-free and vegan-friendly. They’re grain-free and full of healthy fiber.
- 1 ½ cups organic ground flax seed
- ½ cup blanched almond flour or your favorite gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon organic ground ceylon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup organic butternut squash puree, pumpkin puree, or applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten, or two chia eggs*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- *Each chia egg is made by stirring together 1 tablespoon of chia seed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before adding to the muffin batter.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the ground flaxseed, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder, coconut sugar, and raisins into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the coconut oil, butternut squash puree (or applesauce), eggs, and almond milk to the mixing bowl and use a large spatula to stir together. Use a big spoon or measuring cup to divide the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the muffins have turned a golden brown.
- Remove each muffin from the tin and let them cool slightly on a rack before serving.
These muffins freeze great!
Be sure to Pin this Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffin recipe to your favorite Pinterest board:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!