I’m sharing a healthy Berry Crumble recipe today that is gluten-, and dairy-free! The secret to the grain-free topping is cassava flour, an ingredient I’ve been using for about a year now with great results:
Before sharing more pictures and the recipe, though, I have to tell you some very sad news. This past weekend Alan and I love our beloved cat, Xena.
She had a genetic dental disease that required annual cleaning under anesthesia, and due to what will forever be unknown, the surgery on Wednesday morning led to some complications starting Thursday afternoon. She became very sick very quickly, so sick that Alan and I had to make the hardest decision of our lives to let her go without further stress or discomfort. My beautiful fur-baby died in my arms around 5 p.m. on Saturday, December 3rd. She was 12 1/2 years old and the light of my life.
I am now writing this post on the afternoon of Thursday, December 8th, and it has taken a full five days to even begin to feel normal. If you subscribe to my weekly newsletter, then you have heard this news and may have already reached out to me. If so, thank you. Your support, along with that from my friends and family, got me through the worst sorrow I have ever felt. I feel lucky to have made it through the worst of the pain. I hope this isn’t too depressing of an update for you, but I always want to be genuine about what I’m going through and how I’m feeling.
Alan and I are both still recovering from this loss, and that’s another reason why a dessert recipe seemed appropriate for today. Something sweet always helps:
Make this for yourself and please let me know how you like it.
Items you’ll need for this recipe (some affiliate links included):Print
This is a grain-free healthy dessert that is both paleo-friendly and vegan.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries*
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, or the beans of one vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- For the crumble topping:
- ½ cup cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- *if using frozen berries, defrost them in the refrigerator overnight, or by heating in a saucepan or in the microwave)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8”x8” glass baking dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the blueberries and strawberries in a mixing bowl, and stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Pour the mixture into your baking dish.
- To make the crumble topping, stir together the cassava flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and coconut oil in a clean bowl. Use your hands if necessary to ensure that the mixture becomes crumbly and not dry.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the crumble mixture on top of the berry mixture, spreading it out as evenly as possible.
- Bake the mixture for 45 minutes, or until the topping starts to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
- If you like, serve with a dash of your favorite dairy-free milk, yogurt, or ice cream, for added creaminess.
Pin this for later:
As mentioned, I’d love to stay connected with you by e-mail! Sign up here to receive my weekly newsletter with all the latest news and insider info.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you. I promise.