No matter the weather or season, I think you’re going to love this sweet and tangy Grapefruit Smoothie. It’s a delicious and nutritious way to start the day. This recipe is made dairy-free and vegan.
Grapefruit is a citrus fruit that is harvested in the wintertime, but you can generally get fresh grapefruits at the grocery store all year around.
Pink grapefruits tend to be a little sweeter than the regular grapefruits, but you can use any type in this smoothie.
Grapefruit have lots of health benefits and are a great way to add more vitamin C into your diet. And, if you’re trying to manage your weight, then you might also want to consider eating more grapefruit.
Why You Need This Recipe
- The base of this vegan and dairy-free juicy grapefruit smoothie is made using boxed or homemade almond milk, and the result is a creamy, sweet and tangy drink that you can have as a meal replacement or a snack.
- Grapefruits are full of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants. Grapefruit are considered a very healthy food for many reasons, although they can interfere with some medications.
- As written, this recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, and paleo. It’s perfect for almost any dietary style.
You only need a few simple ingredients for today’s recipe.
Grapefruit is the star of this grapefruit smoothie recipe. It is sweet and tart and blends well.
You can use Ruby Red Grapefruit, white grapefruit, or pink grapefruit. A good grapefruit is heavy for its size which indicates lots of natural sweetness.
I like using whole peeled grapefruit, but you can also use grapefruit juice.
Frozen strawberries and frozen pineapple help add more sweetness and balance the tartness of the grapefruit. You can use fresh berries, but then you’ll need to add ice cubes to help thicken the smoothie.
Almond milk or your favorite plant milk helps the mixture blend. Feel free to use regular dairy milk or plain Greek yogurt if you aren’t on a dairy-free diet.
Dates add even more sweetness to this yummy smoothie. Feel free to substitute maple syrup or honey, if you prefer.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Combine your peeled and chopped grapefruit, almond milk, chia or hemp seeds, dates, pineapple, and strawberries in the base of a high-speed blender like a Vitamix.
Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
High-speed blenders do a great job of completely blending all of the ingredients.
Once you’ve blended your grapefruit smoothie, then you can serve it right out of the blender.
This recipe makes two servings, so you can share it or you can store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
I hope you agree that this delicious smoothie is perfect for an easy breakfast or a snack. The sweet and sour flavors balance really well.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- This recipe is very versatile. Feel free to add additional ingredients such as ripe bananas, chia seeds, fresh berries, fresh ginger, other tropical fruits like fresh pineapple or mango, or even a handful of leafy greens.
- Add unsweetened protein powder to make this a well balanced meal replacement. See my list of the best clean eating protein powders.
- Use a Vitamix to ensure that the smoothie gets very creamy and fully blended.
Yes you can use fresh strawberries or pineapple chunks in this smoothie, but then you might need to reduce the amount of almond milk to 1/2 cup to help make the smoothie the right consistency.
Yes, you can use virtually any type of plant-based milk in this recipe, including coconut milk or soy milk. You can also use dairy milk if you want, but then the recipe will not be vegan.
Yes, absolutely! I would suggest using an unsweetened version of protein powder, otherwise your smoothie will be too sweet.
Grapefruit is often considered a weight loss food, and it does have some health benefits related to weight loss. Fruit smoothies aren’t necessarily great for weight loss, though, as they tend to be high in carbohydrates and natural sugars. To make this more of a weight loss smoothie, consider adding protein powder to help balance the macronutrients.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes You Might Like
- Mango Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Honeydew Smoothie
- Oat Milk Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Cauliflower Smoothie
- Orange Banana Smoothie
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie
Or, check out my entire list of healthy smoothies, all made with no dairy!
Don’t Miss These Smoothie Resources
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or hemp seeds
- 2 dates, pitted
- In the base of a high-speed blender, combine the chopped grapefruit, pineapple, strawberries, almond milk, hemp seeds, and dates.
- Process on high for about 30 seconds, or until the smoothie is creamy and fully blended.
- Serve immediately, or pour into a glass with a lid and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- You can use virtually any type of plant-based milk in this recipe, including coconut milk. You can also use dairy milk if you want, but then the recipe will not be vegan.
- You can use pink or white grapefruits in this recipe.
- Store any leftovers in a covered glass in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Feel free to add 1-2 scoops of unsweetened protein powder to help increase the protein content of this smoothie.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 30.9 g
- Sodium: 95.4 mg
- Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: smoothie with whole grapefruit, smoothie using grapefruit, vegan smoothie recipe
About the Author: Carrie Forrest has a master’s degree in public health with a specialty in nutrition. She is a top wellness and food blogger with over 10 million annual visitors to her site. Carrie has an incredible story of recovery from chronic illness and is passionate about helping other women transform their health. Send Carrie a message through her contact form.