Last Updated on
These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are healthy and easy, taking only 8 minutes under pressure to cook. This recipes is vegan and paleo.
I think you’re really going to love this recipe. I’ve made it a few times for holidays, but I make it a lot during the week too. By cooking the potatoes in the Instant Pot, you end up with the silkiest, easy-to-mash potatoes you’ve ever dreamed of. Trust me on this one!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
The five easy steps to make these Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash are:
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, thyme, and cinnamon to the Instant Pot and toss to combine.
- Pour in the water and lock the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes and quick-release the pressure.
- Add the maple syrup and ghee or coconut butter to the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes using the spatula and serve immediately.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I started with five organic sweet potatoes (about two pounds).
I peeled and chopped them into 1-inch chunks:
Then, I just added 1 cup of water, plus some salt, cinnamon, and thyme. Feel free to use fresh or dried thyme. I had some fresh so that’s what I used.
I learned from watching YouTube videos that most recipes made in the pressure cooker need about 1 cup of liquid to cook. I also bought a paleo pressure cooking cookbook for guidance. I’m still experimenting, but this rule of thumb seems to be about right so far.
The last step is to lock on the lid, cook the potatoes on high for 8 minutes, and then to release the steam and add the ghee (use coconut butter to make this recipe dairy-free) and maple syrup. The potatoes will be soft enough that a strong spatula will mix them up enough to be silky-smooth and absolutely delicious!
See how easy that was?!
Questions About Making Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
How do you make mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot?
Cook them for 8 minutes with one cup of water, do a quick-release, and then mash them with a potato masher.
Can I cut this mashed sweet potato recipe in half?
Yes, but you might need to drain off about half the water once the cooking is done.
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
Yes! You only need about half the water in that case.
Don’t I need to use the tray insert to steam the potatoes?
No, since this recipe is for mashed potatoes, the water will just get mixed into the final product.
Can I just make regular sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot?
Yes, see this recipe for cooking whole sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot without peeling or pricking.
Items recommended for this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash recipe (some affiliate links included):
- Instant Pot 6-quart pressure cooker or Power Pressure Cooker XL
- organic dried thyme (buy in bulk for the best price)
- organic ceylon cinnamon (certified fair-trade)
- organic ghee from grass-fed cows or organic coconut butter, also called manna
Other Instant Pot Healthy Recipes
If you like this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash, you might also like these Instant Pot healthy recipes.
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
Here’s my printable Pressure Cooker Mashed Sweet Potato recipe with nutrition information:Print
The easiest way to make sweet potatoes! This dish is perfect for serving at Thanksgiving or any special dinner to a large group.
- 5 large sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, I like Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut butter
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into approximately 1-inch chunks. Add the chunks to the bowl of a pressure cooker.
- Add the salt, thyme, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Pour in the water and lock the lid on the pressure cooker.
- Cook the sweet potatoes on high pressure for 8 minutes and quick-release the pressure.
- Add the maple syrup and ghee or coconut butter to the potatoes and use a spatula to mix together. Mash the potatoes using the spatula and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and re-heat on the stovetop with about ¼ cup of almond milk to add extra creaminess.
VEGAN: use coconut butter instead of ghee
PALEO: use coconut butter or ghee
Pin this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!