This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
This recipe for Instant Pot Carrots is so easy and delicious. It makes the perfect healthy side dish for a holiday meal or for an ordinary weeknight.
Instant Pot Vegetables
If you’re like me, you’re always looking for an easy vegetable side dish to go with dinner. If you’re like me, this usually includes a simple green salad or steamed or roasted vegetables. Cooking vegetables in a pressure cooker is another healthy and super easy favorite. Any vegetable that you can steam will turn out great in the Instant Pot.
Let me show you how!
The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker that uses steam to cook food. So, steaming vegetables in the Instant Pot is a perfect fit. You generally only need about 0-3 minutes of cook time at high pressure to create a perfectly-steamed non-starchy vegetable (unless you’re cooking at artichoke, those need a lot more time).
You’ll notice that I said you can cook vegetables in the Instant Pot for 0 minutes. That’s right! For delicate vegetables like broccoli that you don’t want to overcook, you would set the time for 0 minutes. Don’t worry, they will still get cooked as the pot comes up to pressure. Then, you would use the quick-release after the pot beeps and you’re done.
In today’s recipe for Instant Pot Carrots, you only need 2 minutes at high pressure. Learn more about how to use an Instant Pot.
For this easy recipe, I just took two pounds of carrots and chopped them into about 1-inch chunks. I cut them on the diagonal to make them prettier.
Then, I just placed them in my 6-quart Instant Pot with a cup of water and set the cook time to 2 minutes on high pressure. Isn’t it great that it only takes 2 minutes to cook carrots in a pressure cooker? That does not include the approximate 10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure or the 5 minutes of prep time. Still, this dish can be done start to finish in less than 20 minutes.
Once the cooking time is complete, all you have to do is drain the carrots, toss them with ghee (you can use vegan butter or coconut oil to make them vegan) and fresh thyme, and you’re done!
If you don’t have fresh thyme on hand, you can always use dried thyme or any other fresh herb you like.
These Instant Pot Carrots are sweet, perfectly cooked and delicious.
If you like this recipe, you might also like these easy vegetable side dishes made in the Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Florets
- Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage
- Instant Pot Whole Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
This recipe for Instant Pot Carrots is so easy and delicious. It makes the perfect healthy side dish for Easter or for an ordinary weeknight.
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, washed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee, butter, or coconut oil*
- Chop the carrots into approximately 1-inch chunks.
- Place the water in the base of a 6-quart pressure cooker. Add the carrots.
- Lock on the lid and make sure the valve is set to seal. Set the cook time to 2 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is complete, carefully quick-release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and pour the carrots and water into a colander.
- Add the drained carrots to a serving dish and pour over the melted ghee or coconut oil. Toss with the thyme and serve hot or at room temperature.
*Use coconut oil or vegan butter to make this recipe vegan