Easiest Instant Pot Cabbage (3 Ingredients)
This recipe for the Easy Instant Pot Cabbage is so easy and delicious. Cooked cabbage makes a great healthy side dish that can be served with so many things. Gluten-free, vegan, and paleo.
If you haven’t eaten cooked cabbage in awhile, it’s time to bring this vegetable back into rotation. This healthy vegetable should not just be reserved for St. Patrick’s Day.
Despite how pungent cabbage can smell, it’s actually fairly mild in flavor once it’s cooked down. Really, I promise! And, the pressure cooker (I recommend a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot) is the absolute perfect appliance for cooking cabbage.
Cooked cabbage is an incredibly versatile side dish. You can serve it with anything from a roast, sausages, or roast chicken, to plant-based options like black beans or tempeh.
If you’re looking for a main dish option using cabbage, check out my recipe for Instant Pot Cabbage & Sausage.
The first step to this recipe is to gather up your cabbage and about 3/4 of a cup of broth. You’ll also need some dried herbs like thyme or oregano.
Pour the broth in the pot with the chopped cabbage on top. Then, just lock on the lid and set the time (see the recipe card at the end of this post for exact measurements and details).
When the cooking time is up, use the quick-release to remove the lid. This will ensure that the cabbage doesn’t get overcooked.
Use tongs to remove the cooked cabbage to a serving bowl.
Yes, but remember to never fill the bowl over the “max” line.
Yes, but your cooked cabbage made in the pressure cooker will have a lot more flavor if you use broth.
You likely won’t smell the cabbage while it’s cooking, but you will get the odor of cooked cabbage when you release the pressure and/or open the lid. Ideally, you would open a window to get the smell of cooked cabbage out of your kitchen.
Yes, I’m sure you can! But, I haven’t tried it and chopping the cabbage at least into wedges will ensure that it gets cooked through.
- 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot
- Organic dried thyme, certified GMO- and gluten-free
- Organic dried oregano, certified GMO- and gluten-free
Other Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Recipes
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Beets
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
This recipe for the Easy Instant Pot Cabbage is so easy and delicious. Cooked cabbage makes a great healthy side dish that can be served with so many things.
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried thyme
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the cabbage, dried herbs, and broth to the bowl of an 6-quart or 8-quart electric pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid and set the time to 4 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is complete, carefully use the quick-release to get rid of the pressure. Remove the lid and use tongs to remove the cabbage to a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve hot and refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.
- You can use water instead of broth to cook the cabbage, if you prefer.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: how to cook cabbage in the instant pot, pressure cooker cabbage, instant pot cooked cabbage
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.