Easy, 3-Ingredient Instant Pot Cabbage
When you’re trying to get dinner on the table and need an easy vegetable side dish, this Pressure Cooker Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage recipe will do the trick!
Instant Pot Cabbage
If you haven’t eaten cooked cabbage in awhile, it’s time to bring this vegetable back into rotation. This healthy vegetable should not just be reserved for St. Patrick’s Day. Despite how pungent cabbage can smell, it’s actually fairly mild in flavor once it’s cooked down. Really, I promise! And, the pressure cooker (I recommend a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot) is the absolute perfect appliance for cooking cabbage fast.
I’m a super taster and so vegetables often taste bad to my sensitive tastebuds, but I was surprised how much I liked this cooked cabbage, especially as a side dish to a cooked protein like roast chicken or a steak. Or, for a fully plant-based meal, this cooked cabbage could be served with seasoned black beans or tempeh.
The only seasoning I added to the cabbage was some dried oregano and thyme, although the broth added some extra flavor as well (feel free to use whatever kind of broth you like or have on hand).
All you have to do for this pressure cooker recipe is roughly chop one head of cabbage, green or red, and add it to the pot with one cup of vegetable or bone broth (heck, you can use water if that’s all you have), and one teaspoon each of dried oregano and thyme (pick one over the other to keep it to only three ingredients). Feel free to add salt and pepper, to taste.
And, if you want to double the broth in this recipe, you’ll end up with a nice cabbage soup recipe. Just a suggestion!
Bring your Instant Pot pressure cooker to high pressure for 7 minutes (use 4 minutes if you prefer a firmer cooked cabbage) and either quick release or let the pressure come down naturally. Serve hot and refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.
- Roughly chop one whole green or red cabbage.
- Add the chopped cabbage plus the dried herbs to the pressure cooker base (you can use dried thyme, dried oregano, or your favorite dried herb).
- Add one cup of water or broth and lock on the lid.
- Cook for 4-7 minutes and use the quick release or natural release method.
- Serve the cabbage as a side dish to your favorite meal.
Can I use a 6-quart pressure cooker for this cooked cabbage recipe?
Yes, but remember to never fill the bowl over the “max” line.
What is the total time from start to finish for this pressure cooker cabbage recipe?
The cooking time is only 7 minutes, but you do need to allow at least 8-10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure. So, from start to finish, it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook cabbage in a pressure cooker.
Can I steam cabbage in a pressure cooker?
Well, that’s kind of what happens here, but you’ll need to use the stainless steel insert to keep the cabbage from touching the liquid. I don’t recommend this method. Follow my recipe below instead for better results.
Can I use water instead of broth?
Yes, but your cooked cabbage made in the pressure cooker will have a lot more flavor if you use broth.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, just use vegetable broth instead of bone broth.
Will this cooked cabbage recipe make my kitchen stink?
You likely won’t smell the cabbage cooking, but you will get the odor of cooked cabbage when you release the pressure and/or open the lid.
Can I cook the cabbage for less time to leave it with a firmer texture?
Yes! I would recommend cutting the time at pressure to 4 minutes for a firmer texture to your cooked cabbage.
Could I pressure cook a whole cabbage without chopping it?
Yes, I’m sure you can! But, I haven’t tried it and chopping the cabbage at least into wedges will ensure that it gets cooked through.
- 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot
- Organic dried thyme, certified GMO- and gluten-free
- Organic dried oregano, certified GMO- and gluten-free
Other Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Recipes
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Beets
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
An easy vegetable side dish made in the pressure cooker.
- 1 head green or red cabbage, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried thyme
- 1 cup vegetable broth, bone broth, or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the cabbage, herbs, broth, and salt and pepper to the bowl of an 6-quart or 8-quart electric pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid and bring to high pressure. Cook for 4-7* minutes and quick-release or let the pressure come down naturally.
- Serve hot and refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.
To keep the recipe to only three ingredients, choose one of the dried herbs. Salt and pepper are to taste.
*For a firmer cabbage, cook for 4 minutes. For a more well-cooked cabbage recipe, cook for 7 minutes.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: how to cook cabbage in the instant pot, pressure cooker cabbage, instant pot cabbage