This Lentil Coconut Stew with Kale & Summer Squash is a healthy recipe full of flavor and nutrition. Make it in the slow-cooker for an easy, plant-based meal.
Okay, so a lentil stew isn’t the epitome of summer cooking, but my excuse for making it now is that this recipe gets made in the slow cooker, so the house doesn’t get overheated from the oven or stovetop.
And, while I used a cool new product from Pacific Foods called Bone Stock, you can definitely substitute veggie broth if you prefer to make this recipe 100% plant-based:
Of course, the star of the show is the sprouted lentils, either the green ones or the trio, a product from TruRoots I’ve used for several years now and am a huge fan of (see my recipe for Indian Spice Lentil Burgers here). With just a few spices and a can of coconut milk (unpictured), this stew is so simple to pull together:
I especially love slow-cooker recipes for the “fix it and forget it” scenario. Pop everything in the pot in the morning and you have a delicious, health-promoting stew that provides nourishment for all of your summertime adventures:
Here’s the recipe:Print
A healthy recipe made in the slow-cooker.
- 2 medium summer squash or zucchini
- 1 10-ounce bag sprouted lentils
- 1 15.2 ounce box, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (about two cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon each, dried thyme and rosemary (or herbs of your choice)
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch curly kale, washed and dried, with leaves removed from stems
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Chop the squash or zucchini into bite-sized pieces and place in the pot of a medium-sized slow cooker.
- Pour the lentils, broth, and water into the pot. Add the herbs and cover the pot, cooking on low for 4-6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the coconut milk and chopped kale, stirring well to combine. Continue to cook on low heat with the lid on until you are ready to serve.
- Squeeze some fresh lime on individual servings for added flavor, if desired.
Pin this image for later:
READ NEXT: WOULD YOU BENEFIT FROM GOING DAIRY-FREE?
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!