Air Fryer Hamburgers Without Breadcrumbs
These easy and delicious Air Fryer Hamburgers are made without breadcrumbs are perfect for a quick and easy dinner. This recipe is super fast and is full of flavor. Serve your burgers with all the fixings for a meal everyone loves.
I don’t know about you, but I’m too lazy to get the grill out on most nights. I much prefer to do the cooking in my kitchen where it’s temperature-controlled and comfortable, especially in the summertime when it’s hot outside.
It turns out, the air-fryer is perfect for making hamburgers that even have grill marks. This method is my new favorite way for cooking burgers. This is an easy recipe for juicy air fryer hamburgers with great options for the whole family.
Why You Need This Recipe
- This Air Fryer Burger recipe is easy to make and only takes 12-14 minutes cooking time in the air fryer basket.
- This recipe is perfect for a quick meal on burger night when you don’t have time to grill out.
- This recipe is low carb because it doesn’t use breadcrumbs.
This recipe for air fry hamburgers uses very simple ingredients.
Ground beef makes the base of the burgers. Choose grass-fed ground beef for the healthier option over farm lot of grain-fed beef. I like 90% lean but you can choose whatever level of leanness you like.
Ketchup and mustard add flavor to the beef.
Egg holds the burger together with no need for breadcrumbs.
See the recipe card below for the exact ingredients and measurements, plus nutritional information.
The first step to making Air Fryer Hamburgers is to gather up your ingredients.
I like to use local grass-fed, grass-finished lean ground beef whenever I make burgers. But, you can use whatever type of ground meat you like.
If you want to use poultry, then don’t miss my Air Fryer Turkey Burgers recipe.
Since grass-fed meat tends to be more expensive than feedlot meat, I usually buy it online or from a local farmer. I have an extra freezer in my garage for my bulk orders. Just a tip!
Next, make the burger patties by mixing the ground beef, mustard, ketchup and one egg in a bowl, and then using your hands to form the equal patties. If you don’t have ketchup, you can replace it with Worcestershire sauce.
One pound of ground meat can make 4 normal size burgers, or 6 sliders. You may need to reduce the cook time if you make smaller patties.
Forgot to defrost your meat? Check out my recipe for Air Fryer Frozen Hamburgers.
You’ll notice that I don’t use breadcrumbs in my clean eating hamburger recipe. I honestly don’t think you need them. The egg will help them stick together.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Place the burgers in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Then, just set the cooking time to 370 degrees F and set the cook time to 12-14 minutes.
I sometimes flip them once during the cooking time, but it’s not an absolute necessity since the air-fryer does an excellent job of circulating the hot air.
Serve your juicy hamburgers hot, on a bun or a salad, with your favorite toppings such as cheese slices or tomato slices. Try serving the burger in a lettuce wrap to keep the meal low-carb, if you wish.
I hope you’ll agree that on a hot evening, this air fryer version method for cooking hamburgers is the best way! I hope your family loves these juicy burgers as much as mine does.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Let the burgers rest for about 5 minutes after cooking before serving. This helps keep all the juices inside and keeps the burgers from drying out.
- To ensure your burgers are cooked through, use an instant-read or meat thermometer inserted into the center of the burger. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees F.
- Feel free to get creative with how you serve your air fryer burger. Instead of a bun, I often serve my beef burgers on top of a Romaine Salad with Simple Vinaigrette.
- Look for gluten-free buns in the freezer aisle of your local health food store or grocery store.
- If you want to make an Air Fryer Cheeseburger, just at a slice of cheese to the burger after you remove it from the air fryer.
- Want to use frozen hamburger patties? Try my recipe for Air Fryer Frozen Hamburgers.
It’s up to you. The farm where I buy my meat sells 90% lean beef. You can also use 85% lean meat for a super juicy burger.
It’s traditional to serve a burger on a sliced and toasted bun with ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, sliced tomato, cheese (use dairy-free cheese if you’re on a dairy-free diet), and sometimes bacon. You can use any, all, or none of these toppings on your burger as it is really just personal preference.
In the United States, we often serve our burgers with a buffet of choices to allow everyone to pick their own toppings.
Even More Air Fryer Recipes
- 1 pound ground beef (85% to 90% lean; I like to use grass-fed beef from a local farmer)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ketchup (use sugar-free ketchup for sugar-free diets)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, ketchup, and mustard. Use your hands to stir together and then form four patties.
- Place the patties on the tray of an air-fryer.
- Cook the burgers at 370°F for 12-14 minutes, or until the tops of the burgers have browned and the burgers are cooked to a medium doneness (you can check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer so it reads at least 165 degrees F). If the burgers start to get too brown on top, you can always flip them over halfway during the cooking process.
- Use tongs or a spatula to remove the hamburgers to a plate. Let the burgers rest for five minutes before serving.
- If you don’t have ketchup, you can replace it with Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s traditional to serve a burger on a sliced and toasted bun with ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, sliced tomato, cheese (use dairy-free cheese if you’re on a dairy-free diet), and sometimes bacon. You can use any, all, or none of these toppings on your burger as it is really just personal preference. In the United States, we often serve our burgers with a buffet of choices to allow everyone to pick their own toppings.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 119.7 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.6 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 24.3 g
- Cholesterol: 120.2 mg
Keywords: how to cook burgers in an air fryer, gluten free hamburgers, air fried burgers
About the Author: Carrie Forrest has a master’s degree in public health with a specialty in nutrition. She is a top wellness and food blogger with over 10 million annual visitors to her site. Carrie has an incredible story of recovery from chronic illness and is passionate about helping other women transform their health. Send Carrie a message through her contact form.