This Ground Bison and Cauliflower bowl is perfect for paleo and Whole30 diets. It’s a grain-free and easy meal, and the leftovers taste great too!
Easy Weeknight Meals
I am most definitely a morning person, so come 6 pm, I am so not interested in cooking dinner. That’s why I’m all about making weeknight meals easy, and this Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowl is just about as easy as it gets.
As long as you have the cauliflower rice ready to go, this dish is as easy as:
- Sautéing the cauliflower rice
- Cooking the ground bison
- Adding in defrosted peas and carrots
- And serving it!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
You can most definitely use pre-made cauliflower rice in this recipe, but I make it ahead of time by just adding cauliflower florets to my food processor.
It literally takes about 15 seconds to get homemade, super fluffy cauliflower rice.
How to Make Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowls
I start this dish by sautéing the cauli rice in just about a teaspoon of olive oil for a few minutes, topped with spices. I like to use ground cumin, oregano, and turmeric, but you can use whatever spice you like.
I like to cook the cauliflower before the meat, just to get rid of the raw taste. Then, the rice gets removed from the skillet to make room for the meat and to make sure the cauliflower doesn’t get overcooked.
The next step is to cook the bison, you can substitute grass-fed ground beef if you prefer. I recommend buying your bison from a quality retailer such as US Wellness Meats (affiliate link included).
Once the meat is almost all the way cooked, I add in the defrosted peas and carrots, along with the cooked cauliflower rice.
Questions related to this recipe:
What does bison taste like?
Bison tastes a lot like beef, but the flavor can vary by manufacturer. If you are super sensitive to a “gamey” flavor, then you might not like bison, but I find the flavor to be very mild. I have even had bison that has a sweetness to it.
Is this recipe keto?
This recipe has less than 12 grams of carbohydrate per serving, so it is a keto-friendly recipe.
Here’s the printable recipe for this Ground Bison and Cauliflower recipe:Print
This ground bison and cauliflower recipe is perfect for paleo and Whole30 diets. It’s grain-free and easy!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken up into florets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin, unfiltered olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 cups spring peas and carrots (defrosted, if using frozen)
- Add cauliflower florets to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds until florets are broken into a rice-like texture, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower “rice” and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the ground cumin, oregano, and turmeric and transfer mixture to a bowl while you cook the meat.
- Add the ground bison to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until it is almost completely done. Use a large spoon or spatula to break up any chunks and ensure even cooking.
- Turn the heat to low, add the peas and carrots, and place a lid on the skillet. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cooked cauliflower rice mixture.
- Serve hot.
Pin this Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowl recipe to Pinterest to save it for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!