This Ground Bison and Cauliflower bowl is perfect for paleo and Whole30 diets. It’s a grain-free and easy recipe, and the leftovers taste great too!
Easy Weeknight Meals
I’m all about making weeknight meals easy, and this Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowl is just about as easy as it gets. I think you’ll really love the combination of textures with the cauliflower rice and the ground meat. This recipe would also be a perfect meal prep recipe! See more of my meal prep ideas.
As long as you have the cauliflower rice ready to go, this dish is as easy as:
- Sautéing the cauliflower rice
- Cooking the ground bison
- Adding in defrosted peas and carrots
- And serving it!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower rice is everywhere these days, and you can buy it fresh or frozen. Or, you can make your own by placing cauliflower florets in a food processor.
It literally takes about 15 seconds to get homemade, super fluffy cauliflower rice.
How to Make Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowls
This dish gets made by sautéing the cauliflower rice in just about a teaspoon of olive oil for a few minutes, topped with spices. I like to use ground cumin, oregano, and turmeric, but you can use whatever spices you like.
If you are using frozen cauliflower rice, then I would suggest microwaving it in a bowl before adding it to your skillet. You’ll want to drain any of the excess water from the frozen cauliflower rice before adding it to the pan.
I like to cook the cauliflower before the meat, just to get rid of the raw taste. Then, the rice gets removed from the skillet to make room for the meat and to make sure the cauliflower doesn’t get overcooked.
The next step is to cook the ground bison, you can substitute grass-fed ground beef if you prefer. I recommend buying your bison from a quality retailer such as US Wellness Meats (affiliate link included).
Once the meat is almost all the way cooked, I add in the defrosted peas and carrots, along with the cooked cauliflower rice.
Questions related to this Ground Bison & Cauliflower Rice recipe:
What does bison taste like?
Bison tastes a lot like beef, but the flavor can vary by manufacturer. If you are super sensitive to a “gamey” flavor, then you might not like bison, but I find the flavor to be very mild. I have even had bison that has a sweetness to it.
Is ground bison good?
Yes, it is so flavorful and nutritious. I recommend bison as part of a healthy, balanced diet. You can cook and serve bison in the same way as you would beef.
Is ground bison healthier than ground beef?
It depends. Bison can sometimes have a lower saturated fat content and higher protein content. I consider bison from a quality source to be as healthy as grass-fed, grass-finished beef.
Is this recipe keto?
This recipe has less than 12 grams of carbohydrate per serving, so it is a keto-friendly recipe.
Here’s the printable recipe for this Ground Bison and Cauliflower recipe:Print
This ground bison and cauliflower recipe is perfect for paleo and Whole30 diets. It’s grain-free and easy!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 cups spring peas and chopped carrots (defrosted, if using frozen)
- Add cauliflower florets to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds until florets are broken into a rice-like texture, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the ground cumin, oregano, and turmeric and transfer mixture to a bowl while you cook the meat.
- Add the ground bison to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until it is almost completely done. Use a large spoon or spatula to break up any chunks and ensure even cooking.
- Turn the heat to low, add the peas and carrots, and place a lid on the skillet. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cooked cauliflower rice mixture.
- Serve hot.
You can substitute lean ground beef for the bison, if you prefer.
Pin this Ground Bison & Cauliflower Bowl recipe to Pinterest to save it for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!