This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
For busy weeknights, here’s an Easy Crockpot Chicken & Cabbage recipe that your family will love! It’s gluten-free and dairy-free, plus full of nourishing ingredients. Use my time-saving tips for a no-fuss dinner.
I really don’t enjoy making weeknight dinners. Thanks for letting me get that confession off my chest. It’s funny because I’m a food blogger/health educator/nutrition specialist and my whole life essentially revolves around food, but I just don’t love making dinner. I guess it’s because I work so much during the day that come 5 pm, I am so not interested in starting a whole new project.
I’m going to assume that, at least some days, this is you too. That’s where clean eating shortcuts come in handy, which can include everything from using pre-cut veggies to using appliances like the slow-cooker (this is the one I use the most). I will do pretty much anything to make getting dinner on the table easier (I did a whole podcast episode with my clean eating cooking techniques that you can listen to here).
Also, you can see my how-to video for this chicken thigh recipe at the bottom of this post!
The trusty slow-cooker has been my friend for over a decade, ever since I first started learning how to cook. My husband likes to remind me that back in the day he introduced me to this appliance, and even cooked a meal for us when we were dating (as if cooking ONE WHOLE MEAL should earn him a pat on the back every time he brings it up, ha ha). He reads my blog, by the way, so he is okay with me giving him a loving jab every now and then. 🙂
Anywho, I now have three slow-cookers in my kitchen of varying size, along with two pressure cookers. The one I used for this recipe is my largest one, and it holds 6 quarts (you can get it here for less than $50). I love using slow-cookers for easy meals (see my other crockpot recipes here).
My latest time-saving trick is to buy pre-made spice blends that are versatile and full of flavor. My favorite line is Primal Palate, and the one I’m loving is called Garlic & Herb (you can buy it here).
The last time-saving tip I have for this particular recipe is to use the bagged, shredded cabbage and carrot blend and cauliflower rice that you can find at Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have a TJ’s near you (you have my deepest sympathies), then you can use any other brand of shredded cabbage or <gasp> just shred your own using a medium green or red cabbage. You can rice cauliflower on your own, too, you literally just put cauliflower florets in a food processor using the ‘S’ blade. But, I bought a 1-pound bag of cauliflower rice to make my life easy. This recipe is about easy!
Once you’ve gotten everything together, you just layer the ingredients in your slow-cooker, pop on the lid, and let it do its magic. I’ll also note that you can use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe. I used organic bone-in chicken thighs for the ultimate in flavor. Just remember to remove the bone before serving.
This recipe is paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, and perfect for Whole30 diets too!
Items recommended for this Easy Gluten-Free Crockpot Chicken Thighs & Cabbage recipe (some affiliate links included):
- 6-quart slow-cooker (this one comes with a free Lil’ Dipper mini-warmer)
- Primal Palate Garlic & Herb gluten-free, organic spice blend
- Food processor for the vegetables if you don’t want to buy the bagged versions (this food processor changed my life, I adore it)
- Organic chicken bone broth in a carton if you don’t have time to make your own
Dinner without fuss or muss is magic in my book.
Throw on a lemon slice and rosemary sprig and your friends, family, and blog readers will think so, too.
If you like having carbs with dinner (I do, they help me sleep through the night), then I suggest serving this dish with some sticky rice or roasted potatoes. If you serve it as written, then it’s a grain-free, low-carb dish! Also, please use the highest quality chicken you can find. In my mind, that means free-range, organic, and responsibly raised.
Here’s the printable recipe for this super easy Gluten-Free Crockpot Chicken Thighs & Cabbage:Print
An easy slow-cooker meal for busy weeknights.
- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in (or boneless, if you prefer) chicken thighs (about 6–8 pieces)
- 1 9-ounce bag of shredded cabbage and carrots OR 1 medium head of green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 pound bag of cauliflower rice or 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into florets and riced in a food processor
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 teaspoons Garlic & Herb spice blend
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh lemon, sliced (optional, for serving)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of avocado or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the chicken thighs for 2-3 minutes per side, turning once to brown lightly on each side.
- Place the shredded cabbage mixture in the bottom of a large slow-cooker (at least 6 quarts). Add the cauliflower rice on top.
- Next, place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and add the bone broth and Garlic & Herb spice blend.
- Cover the slow-cooker with the lid and set to cook on high for at least 6 hours (or up to 8 hours).
- Serve the chicken and veggies with a wedge of lemon and salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the bone before consuming.
Serve this dish with cooked rice or roasted potatoes, if you like.
Here’s a video for how to make this easy, gluten-free Crockpot Chicken Thighs & Cabbage recipe:
Pin this easy crockpot chicken dinner recipe to your favorite Pinterest board. This recipe is Whole30 and paleo diet friendly!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!