Instant Pot Cabbage and Sausage
For a quick and flavorful main dish, try this Instant Pot Cabbage & Sausage recipe. You only need three ingredients and two minutes cooking time for a hearty and flavorful meal. Low-carb, paleo, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Sometimes we all need dishes that are beyond simple, like almost zero-effort but still delicious kind of simple.
It’s no secret that cabbage and sausage are a tasty pair, but it turns out when you throw them into the Instant Pot with broth, you get a satisfying meal. I love to do this on a busy weeknight.
All you need for this recipe are cabbage, sausage, and vegetable broth. You can add sliced carrots, onion, broccoli, potatoes, or cauliflower to pack in more veggies if you like. Just be sure to dice them or cut them somewhat small so they cook all the way through. If you want to add more meat, you can cut up ham and throw it in as well.
You will love this easy pressure cooker cabbage and sausage dish! It’s easy and customizable.
Why You Need This Recipe
- Napa cabbage, green cabbage, or red cabbage cooked with sausage makes a super flavorful dish that’s low in carbs and keto-friendly too!
- You only need 2 minutes cooking time, making this dish a 20-minute meal. It’s hard to beat that! It takes longer to pick up takeout than it does to make this healthy instant pot meal.
- This dish is packed with cabbage which adds fiber, nutrition, and flavor. It’s especially high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K which are both essential for healing wounds. You can add more veggies too! Just cut them into small pieces and throw them in at the same time as the broth.
Pre-cooked sausage – You can use fresh sausage but you will need to sauté it and slice it first. If you buy it pre-cooked the pressure cooker will do most of the work for you while it cooks the cabbage. I like to use Kielbasa but you can also use chicken sausage if you want to cut back on fat or calories.
Cabbage – Any cabbage will do here. Just be sure to roughly chop the cabbage and remove the core which is edible but unpleasantly tough.
Vegetable broth – Vegetable broth is a great way to pack in flavor to soups and stews. I like to stock up whenever it goes on sale. The cabbage leaves will soak up all the flavor as they cook. You can use chicken broth too.
Add the broth to your 6-quart Instant Pot, and along with your sliced sausage and chopped cabbage. You don’t need to worry about cutting the cabbage uniformly, as it will get cooked down.
As always, please do see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 2 minutes at high pressure. When the cooking time is up, use the quick-release and then carefully remove the lid.
Use a spatula to stir the ingredients and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.
Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Peel and chop all of your veggies first so everything comes together quickly. You can do this ahead of time to cut back on prep time. Or, you can use your frozen cabbage from my post on how to freeze cabbage!
- Add two more cups of broth to make this a soup.
- Use gluten-free sausages to make this dish gluten-free or chicken sausage to lighten it up.
- You can choose your favorite sausage to use, including chicken, pork, beef, or even plant-based.
- Use canned beans and pre-cooked sausage for a quick one-pot meal. Beans are a great way to add plant-based protein.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers for up to four days.
If you prefer to use uncooked sausage, then you will need to sauté it first in the Instant Pot with about a tablespoon of oil. Cook it for at least 5-7 minutes, or until is is almost cooked through.
You can use any cabbage you like best. Each kind has slight flavor differences but will cook up perfectly in the pressure cooker. Green cabbage is the most popular for its sweet yet mild flavor.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili
- Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Sausage
Or, check out my entire index of healthy Instant Pot recipes.
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
For a quick and flavorful main dish, try this Instant Pot Cabbage & Sausage recipe. You only need three ingredients and two minutes cooking time for a hearty and flavorful meal. Low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
- 10 ounces pre-cooked Italian or Polish sausage, sliced (about 4 pieces)
- 1 head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Add the broth to your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot, and along with your sliced sausage and chopped cabbage. You don’t need to worry about cutting the cabbage uniformly, as if will get cooked down.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 2 minutes at high pressure. When the cooking time is up, use the quick-release and then carefully remove the lid.
- Use a spatula to stir the ingredients and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- You can use any type of cabbage in this recipe, including Napa cabbage, green cabbage, or red cabbage.
- You can also use almost any type of sausage, including beef, pork, or plant-based.
- If you prefer to use uncooked sausage, then you will need to sauté it first in the Instant Pot with about a tablespoon of oil. Cook it for at least 5-7 minutes, or until is is almost cooked through.
- The total cooking time includes 10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: pressure cooker cabbage and sausage, instant pot cabbage recipe
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.