Lemon Cinnamon Water Recipe & Benefits
Forget about plain lemon water and consider drinking Lemon Cinnamon Water instead! This article includes an easy recipe, plus information about the potential health benefits of this flavorful drink.
Cinnamon is a widely-used spice around the world. There are two main types of cinnamon: cassia and Ceylon. Cassia cinnamon has three different varieties–Indonesian, Chinese, and Saigon, with Indonesian cassia being the sweetest and most popular in the United States.
Ceylon cinnamon is less widely used. It is less sweet and generally more expensive, though it boasts some impressive health benefits. See my full list of the best no-sugar foods to stock your kitchen.
In today’s recipe, I’m sharing a simple concoction for Cinnamon Tea or Cinnamon Water that is healthy, hydrating, and tasty.
Ceylon Cinnamon Benefits
All varieties of cinnamon can be considered healthy. But if you’re choosing between cassia and Ceylon for health reasons, here’s why Ceylon should be your choice.
- It’s heart healthy. Ceylon cinnamon has been proven to have some benefit for treating metabolic syndrome, one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease.
- It’s blood sugar-balancing. Cinnamon is used by those with diabetes to regulate blood sugar levels. Evidence suggests that Ceylon cinnamon is even more effective for this than cassia cinnamon. You may also like my recipe for Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice.
- It’s brain-protective. Some research suggests that cinnamon’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties may protect against neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s.
Potential Benefits of Lemon Cinnamon Water
Lemon cinnamon water, plain cinnamon water, or cinnamon tea are easy ways to get your daily dose of this warming spice. In addition to being tasty, cinnamon may also:
- Keep your blood sugar balanced. Consuming a glass pre- or post-meal can help control blood glucose spikes. See my full list of tips if you are doing a sugar detox.
- Soothe menstrual cramps. Some studies have found that women who consumed anti-inflammatory cinnamon regularly during their periods reported less severe cramps. See my article on how to eat for your menstrual cycle.
- Help you lose weight. Cinnamon supplementation has been linked to weight loss in some studies. See more weight loss tips for women and my article on natural perimenopause bloating remedies.
There is no definitive proof that cinnamon water is good for weight loss, those some studies have linked weight loss and cinnamon.
Cinnamon supplementation has been found to lower blood glucose levels and lead to better blood sugar regulation. Balanced blood sugar is a key component of maintaining a healthy weight, so in this way, cinnamon water may be helpful for weight loss.
In addition, cinnamon is anti-inflammatory. Lowering inflammation may also contribute to healthy weight maintenance or a slimmer appearance.
Many claim that cinnamon water is best in the morning on an empty stomach or before eating a meal. This is partially due to the Ayurvedic belief that cinnamon, as a warming spice, stimulates digestion.
Another reason you may consume cinnamon water or cinnamon tea before a meal is the evidence that cinnamon can prevent blood sugar spikes.
There is no scientific evidence that drinking cinnamon water is best at any specific time. If you choose to consume cinnamon water, do it when it feels best for you!
Yes! Ground cinnamon is safe to consume in water. Don’t put in too much, though, as the texture and flavor can quickly become overpowering with ground cinnamon. See my recipe below.
If you choose to use ground cinnamon, simply flavor your water to taste. I recommend starting out with a little bit and testing before adding more. It’s also important to make sure you’re using pure ground cinnamon, not a cinnamon sugar blend.
Ceylon cinnamon is less popular than cassia cinnamon in many countries, especially in the United States. Still, you can find it at many specialty grocery stores or health food stores. It’s also available online. Anthony’s Organic, Terrasoul Superfoods, and Frontier Coop are all reputable brands that offer Ceylon cinnamon.
Pregnant women or people with blood disorders should consult their healthcare provider to make sure that is is safe to drink cinnamon water. Read more about the potential dangers of cinnamon.
You should also be careful not to consume ground cinnamon that has not been fully diluted with water. Remember the silly trend where people were eating ground cinnamon? That is very dangerous as the ground cinnamon can coat your lungs and make it difficult to breathe.
More Cinnamon Recipes You Might Like
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash with Cinnamon
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Flax Muffins
- Crockpot Applesauce with Cinnamon
You may also want to check out my recipe for Butter Coffee that is an energizing beverage that won’t raise your blood sugar.
Don’t Miss These Healthy Drinks
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.
And, consider following me on social media so we can stay connected. I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!Print
Lemon Cinnamon Water
Forget about plain lemon water and consider drinking Lemon Cinnamon Water instead! This easy recipe has some potential health benefits including blood sugar management.
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 6 ounces warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (VEGAN, use maple syrup instead)
- In a mug, combine the water, ground cinnamon, lemon juice, and honey.
- Stir well to combine.
- Drink warm as a tea, or let the mixture come down to room temperature. You can also chill the mixture to enjoy cold.
- You water should be warm to help the ground cinnamon dissolve. If you want to serve your cinnamon water as cinnamon tea, then use very hot water instead of warm water.
- This recipe is very versatile. If you want a sweeter drink, add an extra teaspoon of honey. If you want to make it sugar-free, use a sugar alternative like stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
- Pregnant women should consult their healthcare provider to make sure that it is safe to drink cinnamon water.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: how to make cinnamon water, how to make cinnamon tea
Cinnamon water is a warming and flavorful drink that has some potential health benefits. It may promote blood sugar balance, weight loss, and protect against neurological disorders.
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.
Note: this post is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider for recommendations related to your individual situation.
can i have the mixture through out the day?
I just checked which type I have in the cupboard and was surprised to find it is Ceylon Cinnamon.
It is Kania brand which is sold by Lidl in the UK, so could be their own brand.
amazing i now make this every afternoon
I love drinking cinnamon water on a daily basis! So tasty!