I wanted something quick and easy last night for dinner, so I threw some ingredients in my slow-cooker after lunch yesterday and it ended up being a really delicious meal:
The ingredients were simple: jarred tomatoes, butternut squash, beans, mushrooms, onion, herbs, and coconut milk. It started like this:
The fresh lime juice gave it a kick of flavor and the coconut was very mild. The texture of the squash and the mushrooms was great, and it really did taste more like tomatoes than anything else. The squash, of course, made it sweet and hearty.
Here is the recipe:Print
Feel free to substitute a can of “light” coconut milk for the full-fat version. Also, be sure to rinse and drain you beans well if you are using canned beans.
- 1 medium red or white onion
- 2 pounds butternut squash (about one medium squash)
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 25 ounces jarred crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons no-salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 13 ½ ounces canned coconut milk (full fat or “light”)
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 limes
- Chop onion and peel and slice the butternut squash into large chunks. Slice mushrooms.
- Add onion, butternut squash, jarred crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, low-sodium vegetable broth, oregano, no-salt seasoning, and dried garlic, to the pot of a large slow-cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- About 15-30 minutes before servings, chop the basil and stir into the pot, along with the coconut milk. Replace the lid, turn the heat off, and let the pot sit for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze juice from the limes and stir into the soup just before serving.
Not a bad “no-cook” dinner, and I have tons of leftovers:
Although I have learned to love my pressure cooker, I think the slow-cooker is my favorite appliance, after my high-speed blender, of course. 🙂
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.