Last Updated on
This Vegan and Oil-Free Wild Rice Salad is the perfect side dish or easy lunch. It also makes a great meal prep option since it’s portable and can be eaten at room temperature.
Wild Rice & Lentils
Did you know that wild rice isn’t really a grain, but a seed? That means this salad is also grain-free. Lentils are packed full of protein and fiber, and are delicious and easy to cook!
This recipe was born out of necessity; I had just come back from my whirlwind trip to the East Coast and didn’t have a whole lot of ingredients to work with (not to mention being completely jet-lagged and barely capable of boiling water). It doesn’t get much easier than throwing everything together in a big bowl!
How to Serve Wild Rice Salad
I served this salad warm on the first day and cold over chopped romaine for lunch the rest of the week. Isn’t it great to make a big dish of something and have leftovers? It’s one of my trips for staying healthy. This salad would also make a great travel meal, just pop it in a container and take it with you in the car or on a plane.
Here’s my printable recipe for this Vegan & Oil-Free Wild Rice & Lentil Salad with Avocado:
An easy and delicious salad that is great for potlucks or a healthy lunch.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the lentils and wild rice in separate saucepans according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumbers, olives, red bell pepper, onion, avocado, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the cooked and cooled lentils and wild rice and stir one last time to combine.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.
Here are some questions related to this Wild Rice Salad recipe:
Can I use brown or white rice instead of wild rice?
Yes, absolutely! Wild rice is not a grain, but white and brown rice are grains, but feel free to use whatever you prefer.
Can I cook the rice and lentils together?
Sadly, no, because they have different cooking times. It’s better to cook them separately.
Can I use green lentils instead of brown lentils?
Yes, green and brown lentils substitute very well for each other. Red lentils might be mushy, so I recommend sticking with green or brown.
Pin this Wild & Lentil Salad to your favorite healthy Pinterest board to save it for later!
Other lentil recipes you might like!
- Indian Spice Burgers using sprouted lentils
- How to make sprouted lentils + a basic lentil burger recipe
- Lentil Coconut Stew with kale
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!