I have a huge kitchen confession to make…I bought a Blendtec! You guys know I adored my Vitamix, I ran that thing ragged for the past five or so years.
At a certain point, earlier this year, though, a situation went down like this:
Carrie wakes up early on a Saturday morning and starts puttering around in the kitchen, as any good food blogger is prone to do. Carrie gets it in her head to make homemade coconut milk at 5 a.m., for the same reason stated previously. Carrie turns on high-speed blender, makes enough noise to wake everyone up (namely, dear husband), and turns around to find said DH scowling and quite upset, despite having luscious coconut milk to top his morning cereal.
Yep, that’s pretty much what happened. Later that morning after a grouchy someone took a nap, a big purchase was made and, a few days later, a big box arrived:
With the main selling feature being its level of quietness, we chose the Blendtec Stealth, also called the Professional 800, that comes with a noise-dampening cover (which works to reduce noise, it really works!):
Since I was upgrading from the entry-level Vitamix, I was excited to have the icons and programs, as well as the manual adjustable option:
One of the best features of Blendtecs? They can go in the dishwasher (top rack recommended)!
After nearly five months of playing with my new toy, I came up with a list of “pros” and “cons” that summarize my experience, especially compared with using the Vitamix.
Pros of Blendtec:
- 8-year warranty.
- Goes in dishwasher (top rack).
- No tamper necessary. This is a HUGE benefit of the Blendtec over the Vitamix. Huge.
- The entrepreneur/creative antagonist in me adores the story of how Tom Dickson invented this amazing piece of machinery and what he came up against. This isn’t exactly a selling feature, but part of my “vote with your dollar” motto.
Cons of Blendtec:
- The Stealth is a lot of money to spend, although about 10% less than a comparable Vitamix.
- The Blendtec is designed to fit under standard kitchen counters, but the Stealth has a bit of trouble because of the cover that flips up (see picture below). I compensate for this problem by putting a dish towel under the machine and simply sliding it forward so the cover clears the cabinet above:
In case you’re wondering, my Vitamix went to a good home – my sister’s, who sent me this picture a few years ago after I convinced her that feeding berry smoothies with greens to my nephew was an easy way to increase his veggie intake. Kids with smoothie mustaches get me every time:
You’ll also be happy to know that the Blendtec Stealth with the cover does its job and that it allows one to quietly blend anything day or night, or in the wee hours of the morning, and you know I do! 🙂
Note: I was not compensated for this post, but I have become an affiliate of Blendtec…because they’re awesome!
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!