If you love oatmeal, chocolate, and kale, you might like them together in this Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal with Kale!
Please tell me I’m not the only one to cook greens with oatmeal…please, please? 🙂
I had a curly kale salad with a tamarind dressing at a restaurant recently and, because the dressing was sweet, it inspired me to make a breakfast dish incorporating curly kale. This version using oatmeal, strawberries, tahini, and cocoa powder tastes like unbaked kale chips to me and it’s yummy, I promise!
I started by making oatmeal in the traditional way, combining everything except the kale and final toppings into a pot. After the oats were almost all the way cooked, I added the curly kale which I had torn into bite-sized pieces:
The oat and fruit mixture got all stirred together while the kale wilted just a little bit:
This dish is my new breakfast obsession, I seriously can’t get enough of it.
Here’s the recipe for this vegan oatmeal recipe:Print
An unusual, but delicious, twist on oatmeal.
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ medium ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon unsalted tahini or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 cups curly kale, torn into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon green stevia powder OR 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional, for extra sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional, for topping)
- Combine oats, almond milk, banana, strawberries, cocoa powder, tahini or almond butter, and raisins in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally so as not to burn. Add more almond milk if necessary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until oats are softened.
- Place the kale on top of the mixture and stir in gently for 2-3 minutes, or until the kale has wilted slightly and is coated by the oat mixture.
- If you prefer extra sweetness, stir in the green stevia powder or maple syrup.
- Serve the oatmeal hot, topped with the ground flaxseed and/or hemp seeds.
Don’t hate it until you’ve tried it, is all I can say (although I can totally understand if this isn’t your thing – my husband won’t touch this dish):
If you’re looking for other breakfast recipes, you might like my Sprouted Oat Groat Cereal, my Slow-Cooker Winter Breakfast Stew (this one has kale in it, too), my Sweet Potato Pudding, or my Chocolate Pear Smoothie…all great choices if you ask me. 🙂
Pin this recipe to save it for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!