Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal with Kale
If you love oatmeal, chocolate, and kale, you might like them together in this Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal with Kale!
I had a curly kale salad with a tamarind dressing at a restaurant recently and, because the dressing was sweet, it inspired me to make a breakfast dish incorporating curly kale. This version using oatmeal, strawberries, tahini, and cocoa powder tastes like unbaked kale chips to me and it’s yummy, I promise!
I started by making oatmeal in the traditional way, combining everything except the kale and final toppings into a pot. After the oats were almost all the way cooked, I added the curly kale which I had torn into bite-sized pieces:
The oat and fruit mixture got all stirred together while the kale wilted just a little bit:
This dish is my new breakfast obsession, I seriously can’t get enough of it.
Here’s the recipe for this vegan oatmeal recipe:Print
An unusual, but delicious, twist on oatmeal.
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ medium ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon unsalted tahini or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 cups curly kale, torn into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon green stevia powder OR 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional, for extra sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional, for topping)
- Combine oats, almond milk, banana, strawberries, cocoa powder, tahini or almond butter, and raisins in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally so as not to burn. Add more almond milk if necessary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until oats are softened.
- Place the kale on top of the mixture and stir in gently for 2-3 minutes, or until the kale has wilted slightly and is coated by the oat mixture.
- If you prefer extra sweetness, stir in the green stevia powder or maple syrup.
- Serve the oatmeal hot, topped with the ground flaxseed and/or hemp seeds.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Plant-based, vegan, dairy free, healthy
Keywords: Strawberry chocolate oatmeal with kale
Don’t hate it until you’ve tried it, is all I can say (although I can totally understand if this isn’t your thing – my husband won’t touch this dish):
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.