I have a friend named Carol who came up with this recipe for Peanut Butter Protein Bites. Carol and I have a mutual friend named Janet who made these for the holidays and gifted me a batch. I was so impressed with their yummy flavor and healthy ingredients that I asked (a.k.a. begged) Carol if I could share the recipe on my blog. Luckily, she said yes!
I find that these Bites are so satisfying as a snack or a dessert, and I adore having them in my fridge for busy days. I adapted Carol’s original recipe just slightly, offering tahini for almond butter and allowing for maple syrup instead of honey to give a vegan option.
You might note that these cookies have a lot of ground flax in them. I’m pointing that out as a caution in case you aren’t used to eating flax or you plan to serve these to kids or friends. We don’t want to give anyone a stomachache!
You’ll see from the recipe that these cookies don’t even need to be baked; you just mix up the ingredients and chill them a bit to keep them together.
The printable recipe:Print
Peanut Butter Protein Bites
These Peanut Butter Protein Bites are a healthy snack or dessert. They don’t even need to be baked; just mix and go!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free with Vegan Option
- 2 cups rolled oats (use gluten-free, if necessary)
- ½ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup tahini (or almond butter)
- 1/3 cup raw honey (use maple syrup for vegan)
- Combine the oats, coconut, flax, and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Add the peanut butter, tahini, and honey to the mixing bowl and use your hands to manually mix the ingredients together. It might take a few minutes and your hands will get sticky, but soon everything will be completely combined. Then, use your hands to form the batter into about 20 cookies, rolling them in your palms to make them round and to ensure they stick together. Each “bite” will be about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Items recommended for recipe:
- Gluten-free, organic rolled oats
- Sprouted ground flax (my favorite brand!!!)
- NOW Foods organic unsweetened coconut
- Allergen-free dark chocolate chips
I was curious about the nutritional profile too, so I created a label for one bite:
And, a pinnable image so you can save this recipe on Pinterest for later:
Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!