This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
These Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are cooked whole with no pricking. They’re an easy, healthy side dish perfect for meal prepping.
Why Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes?
It used to take at least an hour of baking in the oven to get a sweet potato cooked through, but the Instant Pot makes it so much faster. It’s honestly so convenient and I’ll never go back to using my oven to make delicious, healthy sweet potatoes that are perfectly cooked.
With the Instant Pot, you:
- don’t have to prick the sweet potatoes to get them to cook evenly through
- don’t have to pre-heat your oven and heat up your kitchen
- can walk away and do other things while the Instant Pot does its magic
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and are ready to buy one, may I suggest the 6-quart Duo model that I have? I love it and it sells for less than $100 on Amazon.
How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
You aren’t going to believe how easy this is. To make gloriously soft sweet potatoes with a silky-smooth flesh, all you have to do it:
- Wash and pat dry your sweet potatoes
- Place them on a trivet inside the Instant Pot
- Add one cup of water
- Lock on the lid and set the time
Questions about making sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot
What size of Instant Pot should I use to cook sweet potatoes?
I recommend a 3-quart, 6-quart, or 8-quart. It really just depends on how many you want to cook.
How many sweet potatoes can I cook in the Instant Pot?
A 3-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 3 medium sweet potatoes, a 6-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 5 or 6 medium sweet potatoes and an 8-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 10 or more medium sweet potatoes.
How long does it take to cook a sweet potato in the Instant Pot?
Small sweet potato – 18 minutes
Medium sweet potato (most common size) – 22 minutes
Large sweet potato – 27 minutes
How do you serve cooked sweet potatoes?
The options are endless! Sweet potatoes can just be cut down the middle and served with some butter, ghee, or coconut oil. They also go great with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
You can also use them as a base for toppings like cooked beans or ground meat. Or, you can even make them into a Sweet Potato Soufflé!
Can I freeze cooked sweet potatoes?
Yes, but I like to remove them from the skin and just freeze the flesh.
Can I eat the skin of cooked sweet potatoes?
Yes, but I recommend buying organic sweet potatoes if you want to eat the skin. Also, be sure to scrub them really well before cooking them.
Can I make mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot?
Yes! But, I recommend peeling them and chopping them before cooking them. See my easy Instant Pot mashed sweet potato recipe for the details.
What else can I make in the Instant Pot?
So many things! I have just what you need with my FREE Instant Pot Clean Eating e-book! Yay!
Plus, here are some other easy Instant Pot veggie recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage
- Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
Here’s the printable recipe for easy Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes:Print
Here’s how to make sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, whole
- 1 cup water
- Wash the sweet potatoes, using a sponge or brush to scrape off any pieces of dirt. Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Place the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the water.
- Arrange the sweet potato on the trivet.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 22 minutes, making sure the pressure valve is set to “sealing.”
- When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a serving plate.
- Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Note: cooking times can vary based on the size of your sweet potato. Medium is the most common size. The small ones fit in the palm of your hand and the large ones are huge.
Small sweet potato (18 minutes)
Medium sweet potato (22 minutes)
Large sweet potato (27 minutes)
Be sure to pin this easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato recipe to save it for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!