Easiest Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
You are going to love this no-fuss, foolproof method for cooking Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes. They’re an easy, healthy side dish that everyone loves.
I think you’re going to love how easy and efficient it is to make Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes.
Compared to the time and effort it takes to cook whole sweet potatoes in an oven, cooking them in the Instant Pot is a cinch! They’re done about 60% faster and you don’t have to poke holes in the potatoes before you cook them. It’s honestly so convenient and I’ll never go back to using my oven to make delicious, healthy sweet potatoes that are perfectly cooked.
With the Instant Pot, you:
- don’t have to prick the sweet potatoes to get them to cook evenly through
- don’t have to pre-heat your oven and heat up your kitchen
- can walk away and do other things while the Instant Pot does its magic
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and are ready to buy one, may I suggest the 6-quart Duo model that I have? I love it and it sells for less than $100 on Amazon.
You aren’t going to believe how easy it is to cook whole sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker. To make gloriously soft sweet potatoes with a silky-smooth flesh, all you have to if follow these steps.
Wash and pat dry your sweet potatoes.
Place them on a trivet inside the Instant Pot. Add one cup of water.
Lock on the lid and set the time based on the size of your potatoes.
- Small sweet potato – 12 minutes
- Medium sweet potato (most common size) – 18 minutes
- Large sweet potato – 25 minutes
I recommend a 3-quart, 6-quart, or 8-quart. It really just depends on how many you want to cook at one time.
A 3-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 3 medium sweet potatoes, a 6-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 5 or 6 medium sweet potatoes and an 8-quart Instant Pot will fit up to 10 or more medium sweet potatoes.
Small sweet potato – 12 minutes
Medium sweet potato (most common size) – 18 minutes
Large sweet potato – 25 minutes
The options are endless! Sweet potatoes can just be cut down the middle and served with some butter, ghee, or coconut oil. They also go great with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
I even make a Sweet Potato Smoothie recipe that tastes like sweet potato pie.
You can also use them as a base for toppings like cooked beans or ground meat. Or, you can even make them into a Sweet Potato Soufflé or my delicious gluten-free Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread!
Yes, but I like to remove them from the skin and just freeze the flesh.
Yes, but I recommend buying organic sweet potatoes if you want to eat the skin. Also, be sure to scrub them really well before cooking them.
Yes! But, I recommend peeling them and chopping them before cooking them. See my easy Instant Pot mashed sweet potato recipe for the details.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Beets
- Instant Pot Whole Butternut Squash (Whole)
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
See my entire index of healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Watch me make this recipe on YouTube!
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
These Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are cooked whole with no pricking. They’re an easy, healthy side dish that everyone loves.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, whole
- 1 cup water
- Wash the sweet potatoes, using a sponge or brush to scrape off any pieces of dirt. Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Place the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the water.
- Arrange the sweet potato on the trivet.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 18 minutes, making sure the pressure valve is set to “sealing.”
- When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a serving plate.
- Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Note: cooking times can vary based on the size of your sweet potato. Medium is the most common size. The small ones fit in the palm of your hand and the large ones are huge. Adjust the cooking time based on the size of your potatoes: Small sweet potato (12 minutes) Medium sweet potato (18 minutes) Large sweet potato (25 minutes)
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: how to cook sweet potatoes in the Instant pot, Instant pot sweet potatoes, how long to pressure cook sweet potatoes
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.