10+ Anti-Inflammatory Smoothies for Weight Loss
If you’re trying to reduce inflammation and lose excess weight, you’ll want to check out this list of the Best Anti-Inflammatory Smoothies for Weight Loss. These nourishing recipes use ingredients that are scientifically-proven to aid healthy weight loss and reduce inflammation.
Inflammation is a natural process that occurs in the body as part of the immune system’s response to injury or infection. However, chronic inflammation can arise from eating too many processed foods or added sugars that trigger an inflammatory response.
On the contrary, if we consume anti-inflammatory foods, our bodies can start to recover from inflammatory states and start to heal. This reduction in inflammation can help with loss of extra weight, reduction of joint pain, decreased risk of heart disease, improvement in mental clarity, and an increase in overall health.
Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie Ingredients
Healthy smoothies can be an essential part of an anti-inflammatory diet because you can blend whole foods in a high-speed blender to make delicious recipes.
Try adding at least one of these ingredients to your next smoothie to get the health benefits to help support your blood sugar levels and weight loss goals.
- Berries (Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries): Berries are high in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins, which help reduce inflammation by neutralizing free radicals and decreasing pro-inflammatory cytokine production.
- Ginger: Ginger contains gingerol, a compound with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that works by inhibiting the synthesis of pro-inflammatory cytokines and enzymes like cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase (LOX).
- Hemp Seeds: Hemp seeds are a good source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a type of omega-6 fatty acid that has anti-inflammatory effects, helping to reduce inflammation by supporting the production of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins.
- Leafy Greens (Spinach, Kale): These green vegetables are rich in antioxidants, including vitamin E, which has been shown to play a key role in protecting the body from pro-inflammatory molecules called cytokines.
- Cherries: Cherries, especially tart cherries, are rich in anthocyanins and catechins, which help to reduce inflammation by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. They help reduce inflammation by decreasing the production of inflammatory markers, such as TNF-alpha and IL-6.
- Beets: Beets contain betalains, pigments with potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to reduce inflammation by inhibiting enzymes that signal inflammation.
- Pineapple: Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme that may help reduce inflammation by promoting the removal of toxins and inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is often included in anti-inflammatory diets due to its content of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are fats that some suggest may have a neutral to beneficial effect on inflammation levels. Its creamy texture and flavor make it a popular dairy-free alternative for smoothies and cooking, aligning with anti-inflammatory eating patterns that prioritize plant-based fats.
For a smoothie that’s gentle on inflammation, think about using dark leafy greens like spinach or kale and fruits like berries or pineapple. You can also add ingredients like pineapple chunks, flax seeds, almond butter, fresh ginger, or fresh fruits to add flavor and nutrition for a healthy breakfast. Choose liquids like almond milk, coconut water, or green tea to mix everything together.
To get some healthy fats in your smoothie, avocados and chia seeds are great options. They make your smoothie creamy while adding nutrients.
Definitely! Spices like turmeric and ginger can be great for adding a bit of zest to your smoothie. Just a little turmeric goes a long way, and adding a tiny bit of black pepper can help blend the flavors. Ginger gives a nice, spicy kick.
Anti-inflammatory smoothies can be a nutritious part of a weight loss plan because they can be filled with fiber from fruits and vegetables, which helps you feel full and satisfied longer. Incorporating ingredients like avocados and chia seeds provides healthy fats that contribute to a sense of fullness, potentially reducing the urge to snack between meals.
Best Anti-Inflammatory & Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes
Cucumber Pineapple Smoothie
This Cucumber Pineapple Smoothie is a quick way to get nutrients and hydration. This refreshing drink is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, plus it tastes great. This recipe is naturally dairy-free and vegan.
Weight Loss Green Smoothie
This Weight Loss Green Smoothie is a yummy drink filled with ingredients like spinach, banana, avocado, mango, and chia seeds. Not only does it taste great, but it’s also perfect if you’re looking to lose weight. This smoothie is creamy, sweet, and the perfect choice for a quick breakfast or a refreshing snack.
Orange Banana Smoothie Recipe Using Whole Oranges
This Orange Banana Smoothie uses whole oranges and bananas for a bright-tasting and refreshing drink. This recipe can be made both dairy-free and vegan. Each serving contains almost 100% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
Iron Rich Smoothie
Many pre-menopausal women are low in iron stores. This Iron Rich Smoothie is a great way to naturally help increase iron levels. Plus, it tastes great and is a satisfying breakfast or meal replacement smoothie.
Strawberry Beet Constipation Smoothie
If things are slow in the digestion department, try this Strawberry Beet Constipation Smoothie. With almost 10 grams of fiber per serving, it’s an effective and natural way to feel better soon. Plus, this smoothie tastes great!
Anti-Cancer Green Smoothie Recipe
This Anti-Cancer Green Smoothie recipe is full of health-promoting ingredients, including leafy greens and broccoli florets. This vegan and dairy-free blended drink can be served as a meal replacement or as a snack. Easy to make and delicious, too.
When it’s hot outside, there is nothing more refreshing than this Honeydew Melon Smoothie recipe. It’s a delicious and nutritious recipe that is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, with only a few ingredients.
Strawberry Protein Smoothie (25 Grams)
Looking to increase your protein intake? Try this Strawberry Protein Smoothie that includes 25 grams of protein in one serving. This recipe includes healthy ingredients and protein powder, but tastes like a classic strawberry milkshake.
Liver Detox Green Smoothie
This dairy-free Liver Detox Green Smoothie helps support your body’s natural detoxification system and liver function. Blend together ingredients like banana, pineapple, greens, and avocado to make a nourishing and delicious breakfast, lunch, or snack.
More Helpful Anti-Inflammatory Resources
Looking for more holistic health favorites? Visit my Amazon storefront for my favorite supplements, snacks, appliances, books, and more!
Don’t forget to join my newsletter list to get exclusive clean eating recipes and tips. The newsletter is 100% free with no spam; unsubscribe anytime.
About the Author: Carrie Forrest has a master’s degree in public health with a specialty in nutrition. She is a top wellness and food blogger with nearly 10 million annual visitors to her site. Carrie has an incredible story of recovery from chronic illness and is passionate about helping other women transform their health. Send Carrie a message through her contact form.
Don’t Miss These Helpful Smoothie Resources!
Note: this post is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider for recommendations related to your individual situation.